Google has become part of every Internet user’s go-to resource for almost everything. It’s amazing how it has become synonymous with searching for anything on the World Wide Web.
So, we felt it would be fun and interesting to know more about the company which not only revolutionized the internet as we know it but also keeps innovating with every year that passes.
Google was founded in 1997 by two Stanford University PhD students Larry Page and Sergey Brin, with the mission statement to organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful.
Here are 30 milestones, facts and figures about Google, the giant, the leader, the search engine we’ve all come to love:
1. September 1997, Google.com domain went online
2. One year later, 30 Million pages indexed
3. July 2000, 1 Billion pages indexed
4. August 2001, Eric Schmidt named CEO
5. Feb 2003, acquired blogger
6. One month later, in March 2003, AdSense launched
7. April 2004, Gmail launched
8. August 2004, Google IPO launches
9. November 2004, 8 billion pages indexed
10. October 2006, Acquired You Tube
11. November 2007, Android announced
12. July 2008, 1 Trillion pages indexed
13. September 2008, Chrome launched
14. There are over 7 billion daily page views for Google
15. There are over 87 billion worldwide searches on Google sites
16. Google enjoys over 85% of the global search market share
17. There are over 620 million daily visits to Google.com
18. Almost 97% of Google’s total revenue is from Advertising
19. Google employees over 20,000 people
20. 270,000 words a minute are written on Blogger
21. 146 million Gmail users
22. Google analytics is used on 57% of the top 10,000 websites
23. 400,000 new Android devices are activated every day
24. 100 million activated Android devices
25. 200,000 Apps available for the Android
26. 4.5 billion Apps have been installed from the Android Market
27. Stock price at its IPO in 2004 was $85
28. Stock price in 2012 was $585
29. 37% of Google’s employees are research staff and 37% are sales staff
30. A new person is called a ‘Noogler’ **smiling**
Are you a Googler or a Noogler? What facts and figures about Google can YOU add to the list?
• Royal Pingdom
Photo Credit: Tomas de Aquino
Get your FREE Copywriting Checklists!
Pop in those details so you can get your writing-weary digits on easy-to-follow and effective-to-use copywriting checklists for sales pages, launches, blog posts and more!